Red Onion Tart with Goats Cheese – Makes 4 individual tarts
4 Shortcrust 3 – 4 inch pastry cases
3 medium Red Onions
1 large shallot
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp demerara sugar
1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
1 tbsp Red wine
Berry Fresh Red Onion Chutney approx. 2 tbsps.
125 – 150 grams Goats Cheese (A creamy blue cheese works well too)
Chopped chives for sprinkling and Salt & Black Pepper to taste
- Peel and slice onions & shallot about 1/8th inch thick
- Add these to a frying pan and sweat for about 5 mins in the olive oil without colouring.
- Add sugar, vinegar & red wine and simmer gently until the liquid reduces and glazes the sliced onion. Add salt & black pepper to taste. Remove from the heat and put to one side.
- Place the pastry cases on a baking tray and spread about half a tbsp of BF Red Onion Chutney on the base of the case.
- Divide the cooked onion mixture evenly between the 4 cases placing it on top of the chutney
- Now place a slice of Goats Cheese (about 1 inch thick) on top of the filled tartlet case. Either place under a medium grill or in an oven at 180 degrees until the cheese softens/begins to melt
- Garnish by sprinkling with chopped chives. This is really good served with mixed leaf and walnuts dressed with a light vinaigrette
Tomato & Chilli baked Salmon – serves 2
2 x 4-5 oz skinned salmon fillets
1 tbsp BF Tomato & Chilli Jam
Black Pepper to taste
- Place salmon fillets in an ovenproof dish
- Spoon the Tomato & Chilli Jam across and around the salmon
- Season with some black pepper
- Cover with silver foil
- Cook in preheated oven at 170C (160C – Fan) for 12 – 15 mins depending on the thickness of the fillet – remove the foil and cook for a further 3-4 mins